Staff Backend Engineer, Flow Builder Team
Postscript is redefining marketing for ecommerce companies. By introducing SMS as an entirely new channel for ecommerce stores to engage, retain, and convert their customer base, brands are seeing huge ROI with Postscript. Backed by Greylock, Y Combinator and other top investors, Postscript is growing fast and looking for remarkable people to help build a world class organization.
** We are not open to working with external agencies on this role and are only considering candidates based in North America**
About Flow Builder
Come join the Flow Builder team! Our mission is to develop a modular, extensible, and integrated platform for our customers to orchestrate their entire business through the SMS thread. Our platform allows merchants to get creative and design an SMS interaction with their subscribers that is engaging, conversational and impactful to their business. We are experiencing fast adoption of our product and are solving the exciting scaling challenges that come with that growth. We are a highly collaborative team that is focused on creating the best platform experience we can.
About the role
As a Staff Backend Engineer for the Flow Builder team you will use your expertise and passion for building scalable and extensible distributed systems to help us enhance our platform experience and empower all Postscript teams to seamlessly build new features into the Flow Builder platform. As a technical leader you will set the bar for the maintainability and performance of our systems. You will be given the autonomy to grow to your full potential and your work will directly impact our customers and Postscript’s bottom line.
Staff Backend Engineers at Postscript are highly skilled product-minded engineers that have organizational wide impact through empathetic leadership, mentorship, problem solving, clear communication, and informed decision-making. As a part of Engineering Leadership you will partner with Engineering Managers and Product Managers to drive the vision and direction of our product and the codebase. You will guide your team in weighing technical constraints and business priorities to make the necessary trade-offs to deliver customer value. Our backend services millions of requests a day, and is built on REST APIs and asynchronous pipelines written in Python and hosted in AWS. We ship code daily to rapidly & iteratively build world-class features, attack technical debt, and re-architect for scale.
Your passion for building great products, especially in early-stage companies, will lead you to have a significant impact on both our customers and business. In addition, you will have the opportunity to help grow engineers, solve challenging problems, and build out architecture and processes as we scale. This position is fully remote.
- Architect and build highly available, extensible, and scalable platform primitives and REST APIs for external and internal customers
- Take ownership and be creative as you deep dive into arbitrarily complex problems and find appropriate paths forward
- Identify and execute on points of scale in order to maximize throughput and efficiency
- Translate business opportunities and unknowns into clearly defined architecture solutions that our teams can own and implement
- Work closely with product, design, and other engineers on your team to deliver a high quality, world-class product
- Lead group sessions to actively ensure your team is guided by product-focused architecture and implementation to achieve our goals
- Coach and mentor other engineers on coding best practices and growth opportunities
- Be accountable for communicating transparently and proactively, defining scope, breaking down and estimating tasks, risk and change management
- A proven career as a software engineer building large scale, high throughput backend applications and APIs, hands-on experience using Python (Flask and SQLAlchemy a plus). SaaS experience preferred
- A track record of leading teams and projects through phases of ambiguity and challenge with great results
- Experience scaling platforms for products experiencing rapid internal and external adoption
- Experience building modular, flexible architectures (avoiding vendor lock-in, maximizing readability and extensibility)
- Experience with relational databases, SQL, and experience with database modeling (PostgreSQL a plus)
- Familiarity with building applications on AWS services and maintaining high observability of the applications
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Experience coaching, mentoring and onboarding engineers
- Experience in high growth, early stage tech preferred
What We’ll Love About You
- Ability to drive technical decisions by measuring trade offs including business priorities and technical needs.
- Leverage technical expertise to iterate and deliver incremental improvements.
- Experience working with others as an excellent team player and collaborator.
- Passion for early stage companies and the opportunity to be responsible for owning and improving a new, fast-growing platform.
- Empathy for users.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Remote work experience is a plus
What You’ll Love About Us
- Salary range of USD $200,000 to $230,000 base plus significant equity regardless of location
- High growth startup - plenty of room for you to directly impact the company and grow your career!
- Remote team - work from home (or wherever!)
- Fun - We’re passionate and enjoy what we do
- Competitive compensation and opportunity for equity
- Flexible paid time off
- Health, dental, vision insurance
- Other great perks, such as home office stipend
For information about how we use your personal data, please see our U.S. Job Applicant Privacy Notice
You are welcome here. Postscript is an ever-evolving place of equal employment for talented individuals.